Sunday, June 12, 2011

How it all began.

From time to time I get questioned as to how I got into Massage Therapy.

There are a few situations that impacted me, steering me to where I am now.
My first massage was in Florida in the late 80's. I was visiting my mother after a very stressful work week. A true believer in massage, Mom wouldn’t even speak to me until I went for a massage myself. That moment opened a new world... I was hooked.  When I came back to New York I continued to get massages.  During one of my sessions the Therapist informed me that there was an open house at a local massage school.  I attended and immediately registered.

Further back in my life I remember this desire to learn about anatomy and physiology.  As a child I had an unusual 'opportunity'.  My father was an avid hunter, and I often helped butcher his 'catch'.  I was his ‘assistant.’  Every step of the way my Dad and I inspected, and tested... muscles, bones, joints, look at how this moves this... and so on. Yes, there were times that I would have to walk away...  but I would come back.   These moments allowed me to experience and discover what few people did.  At the time I wasn't aware of the impact this had.  Now I do.

Massage school was full time. Work was too. I look back now and wonder how I made it thru!

After graduating from The New Center for Wholistic Health and Research with a certificate in Massage, I went on to take the State Boards. After what seemed like forever, I received my New York State License and officially became a Massage Therapist.

As many of you know, my desire to learn did not end there. I continued on, taking classes to find out how to treat the body as a whole... what approaches would make the best impact? I needed to know... and still do.

I researched and treated, researched and treated... countless people.  Some of you have even been my willing guinea pigs... Thank you!

For all the questions that have come my way...  I have answered or tried to answer the best I could... Clear and simple.  Sometimes with quirky stories, images and parallels.  If I didn't know... I just said so... or I found out.

A few years ago my passion for the human body came in handy for my son.  He was in forth grade at the time. The science fair was coming up.  He and his friend wanted to do a project.
Since their topic choice was ‘The Human Body’ they came to me for help.  What greater gift could a parent get, then to have your child ask you to teach them your passion?!

When we were finished with the project they knew more about their bodies than many adults. We had so much fun!  Their science project was a hit... and it got me thinking.  Why not offer this type of Workshop for all kids?

This is how my next venture, I am an AMAZING Human Being!,  began.  

I now offer a very kid-friendly, non-threatening class for all.  And yes, quirky stories, creative images and parallels are used.

My daughter is so excited. She is happy to be my official ‘assistant’. (and no hunting or animals are needed! :)  She made me very proud during her hospital stay (due to a dog bite gone septic) when she gave all the nurses a lesson on the bones!  She was proud too.  I can't wait to see where this goes.........

~ Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment