Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Eye am watching out for you...

Summer is in full swing.  I can smell the sunscreen in the air.  Especially wafting around my own body.  Every morning my ritual is to slather, slather, slather... my goal, to ward off as many wrinkles and potentially scary skin issues I can.
My children smell of sunscreen too... :)  Even my son!  Of course, he had to suffer a painful sunburn firsthand - regardless of the fact that I had given him strict applications instructions and a bottle of 30 spf... for days he winced and steered clear of any misguided physical contact or possible absentminded hugs.  Now he welcomes the application of that ‘smelly stuff.’
Skin protection is widely covered during summer months.  However, an area that gets sorely ‘overlooked’ when it comes to sun protection... the eyes.  
Not only does our skin burn, but the delicate workings of our eyes are at risk of burning too!  
Cataracts, macular degeneration and reduced night vision are just a few of the disorders linked to over exposure of the sun.  Our eyes can be damaged by the suns powerful rays. 
Don’t forget to wear your sunglasses and that big floppy brimmed hat! ...okay not too floppy, but make sure it is at least a decent sized visor. 


More information can be found at Prevent Blindness America.

No comments:

Post a Comment